Sunday, October 14, 2007

Readings

The series of readings highlight various tips for writing. From how to get started on what seems like an endless task, to developing your own style. Lammot talks about just letting yourself write; Not to worry about what you are doing yet, and instead to let the creative juices flow. She says to not be afraid to write a crappy draft and to not take on too much at a time. I think her advice can be utilized by writers in all stages of life. The authors seem to have good tips but personally, I think good writing is in the eyes of the beholder. I get the impression that the only "good" type of writing has to be out of the box. That may be true for many, but frankly coming from a scientific background I hold different standards to my writing and what I read. There is more than one type of writing and I don't think they should be compared to one another. Oranges and apples are both fruit, but who is to say one is better than the other? Writing should be judged upon how well it satisfies its purpose, no matter what it may be.

No comments: